Discussion topics for each book will be posted here. Please check back the week prior to each meeting for book club questions — no spoilers here!
|Topics for Discussion -The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes|1. What does the title, "The Sense of an Ending" mean?
2. At school, Adrian says, “we need to know the history of the historian in order to understand the version that is being put in front of us” (p. 13). How does this apply to Tony’s narration?
3. What is Tony’s opinion of himself? Of Adrian? How do both opinions change by the end of the novel?
4. When Veronica refuses to turn over the diary to Tony, why doesn’t he give up? Why does he continue to needle her for it?
5. Discuss the character Margaret. What role does she play in Tony’s story?
6. Did Tony love Veronica? How did his weekend with her family change their relationship?
7. When Mrs. Ford told Tony, “Don’t let Veronica get away with too much” (p. 31), what did she mean? Why was this one sentence so important?
8. Why did Tony warn Adrian that Veronica “had suffered damage a long way back?” (p. 46). What made him suspect such a thing? Do you think he truly believed it?
9. Is the ending unforeseen, does it leave you with a sense of unease?
10. Why does Mrs. Ford make her bequest to Tony, after so many years? And why does Veronica characterize the £500 as “blood money”?
11. How does the revelation in the final pages change your understanding of Veronica’s actions?